Fifa has today confirmed that its president Sepp Blatter, the man anticipated to succeed him, Michel Platini, and Blatter’s right-hand man Jerom Valcke have all been provisionally suspended for 90 days amid allegations of corruption.
News in the bans for Blatter and Platini, who have been interviewed by the Swiss authorities as part of a criminal investigation, was leaked on Wednesday, when Valke’s ban comes as no surprise as he was already on gardening leave following allegations involving Globe Cup ticket sales.
Inside a statement, fifa coins stated the bans had been imposed because of “investigations that happen to be getting carried out by the investigatory chamber on the ethics committee”, it added that they could be extended to get a further 45 days.
A fourth figure, South Korean Chung Mong-joon, a former Fifa vice-president, has been banned for six years following an investigation into the bidding method for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
Platini stands to endure most and has claimed he is the victim of an “insidious… try to harm my reputation” and insisted that he would continue with his campaign to turn into president of Fifa.
Having said that, former FA chief executive Mark Palios queried “the extent to which anybody who has been suspended can stand as president of Fifa UT 16 coins“.
He told the fifafut16coins: “It appears like this really is the logical and right thing to accomplish by Fifa to suspend men and women whilst an investigation into them is beneath way. I’d be disappointed if they pushed the election back.”